Cops Kill Again. Portland police shoot man with a fake handgun.

From KOIN Local 6. Jan 25, 2012:

A man shot and killed early Wednesday morning in a rooftop confrontation with Portland police at a downtown parking garage pointed a replica handgun at officers.

The Portland Police Bureau (PPB) identified the man as 21-year-old Bradley Lee Morgan of Portland.

According to Sgt. Pete Simpson, Morgan called dispatchers at about 3:15 a.m., saying he committed a robbery at knifepoint, and was going to jump from the top of the SmartPark garage at Southwest 4th Avenue and Morrison Street.

The initial officers who arrived established contact with Morgan, and at 3:51 a.m., they called for the assistance of crisis negotiators.

Approximately 10 minutes later, Morgan allegedly reached into his pocket, pulled out what appeared to be a handgun, and pointed it at the officer and sergeant who had been talking to him. Both officers fired shots at Morgan.

According to PPB, Morgan did not fire on police while atop the nine-story garage. Prior to the shooting, when Morgan was asked by dispatchers if he had a gun, he responded, “possibly.”

“As crisis negotiators were en route, two officers fired, and the man dropped from sight,” Simpson said.

After the shooting, he fell on top of an elevator shaft, making it difficult for police to see him, so a special tactical team was brought in to approach. A ladder from Portland Fire & Rescue was used by police.

Third Avenue, as well as the parking garage, were closed for some time as police and fire crews moved in, eventually confirming that Morgan was dead at 5:30 a.m. He was found holding a black handgun that was determined to be a replica firearm, PPB reports.

Following the shooting, two bullets were recovered, one from an office on the 14th floor of a building at 888 Southwest 5th Avenue, the other by a pedestrian at a crosswalk at Southwest 5th and Yamhill Street.

According to Multnomah County Court documents, on Jan. 12, 2011, Morgan plead guilty to one count of burglary in the first degree. He was then arraigned on Jan. 10 of this year for a separate charge of tampering with a witness, a class C felony, and was released from jail Jan. 17 on his own recognizance pending further hearings.

The sergeant, a 15-year veteran of PPB, and the officer, a 9-year veteran, have been placed on paid administrative leave after the shooting per bureau policy.

An autopsy is scheduled for Thursday morning.

In total, over 100 officers responded to the scene in all, including Chief Mike Reese, said Simpson.

The incident seriously impacted TriMet commuters, causing MAX riders of the Red and Blue lines to take bus shuttles.

This entry was posted in News - All, News - Portland and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s